In order to be eligible to apply for the A Better Chance program, students must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States who identify themselves as people of color and must be in grades 5 through 10. Students who are selected typically meet additional criteria.
- Perform at or above grade level in Mathematics and English
- Have an overall academic average of B+ or better
- Rank in the top ten percent of their class
- Participate in extracurricular activities both within and outside of school
- Demonstrate leadership potential either in school or in their communities
- Receive good recommendations from their teachers
- Are of upstanding character